Friday, January 23, 2009

The Holy Cow!

I am the Holy Cow of India
The envy of all other quadrupeds
I am treated like a god king here
The great Homo Sapien stoops before me


I had a king’s upbringing
Was born off a junkyard in New Delhi’s glitziest district
Did my schooling off slums
Where young innocent minds showered me with the reddest of bricks


For food I was always pampered
No boring green leafy vegetables or simple hay for me
I had the best of junk food
Spicy Continental Banana skins garnished on polythene packs


My mom called me one day and told me about a dream land nearby
She told me of a place on the foothills of mountains where flowed the sacred Ganga
It was the holiest of cities in India
Our kind are particularly given royal treatment there


So I went along dreaming of all the pleasures
I felt welcome when a picture of a sister was embedded on stone
So I went in looking for the priest’s blessings
I was blessed by his wooden rod, holier than all of humanity


I know I am a protected animal here
My life is guaranteed
Pity my brothers elsewhere
Who are fed and nourished only to fall prey with life still in them


I will continue to flourish till the body finally gives way
Till then I shall enjoy the best of junk- and all that for free
Who needs a McDonald’s or Wimpy’s
I am the Holiest of Holy Cows in India

1 comment: